Temporary Protected Status for Haitians Extended

Secretary John F. Kelly of the Department of Homeland Security has extended Temporary Protected Status (TPS) for eligible nationals of Haiti (and eligible individuals without nationality who last resided in Haiti) for six months from July 23, 2017 through January 22, 2018.  The 60-day registration period runs from May 24, 2017 through July 24, 2017.   Conditions in Haiti in the wake of the January 2010 earthquake warrant the extension of the TPS status.  At least 60 days before January 22, 2018, Secretary Kelly will re-evaluate the designation for Haiti and will determine whether another extension is warranted, in full compliance with the Immigration and Nationality Act.

Individuals from Haiti with TPS seeking to extend their TPS status must re-register by July 24, 2017. Those who re-register may request a new Employment Authorization Document (EAD). Anyone re-registering and requesting a new EAD during the 60-day re-registration period may receive an automatic extension of their expiring EAD for up to 180 days from the date their current EAD expires. Current EADs will not be automatically extended without a new EAD request. When an EAD request is approved, the beneficiary will receive a new EAD with an expiration date of January 22, 2018. TPS beneficiaries are strongly encouraged to re-register and file their EAD applications as early as possible to avoid lapses in employment authorization.

To re-register, current TPS beneficiaries must submit (1) Form I-821, Application for Temporary Protected Status (re-registrants do not need to pay the Form I-821 application fee); (2) the biometric services fee (or a fee-waiver request) if they are 14 years old or older.;  (3) Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization, regardless of whether they want an EAD; and (4) the Form I-765 application fee or a fee-waiver request, but only if they want an EAD. If the re-registrant does not want an EAD, no Form I-765 application fee is required.

Applicants may request that USCIS waive the Form I-765 application fee and/or biometric services fee based on an inability to pay. To do so, they must file Form I-912, Request for Fee Waiver, or submit a written request. Fee-waiver requests must be accompanied by supporting documentation.